Now this is a recipe I have been making for years. Is a crowd pleaser and is just plain yummy. Healthy…..um no, but yummy yes! And easy of course. It combines some of my favorite foods into one. What could be better?
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 box Velveeta Shells Dinner
- favorite salsa-Joe T.’s is great
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- Taco Bell taco seasoning (this is not usually in with the seasoning packets, but usually on the Mexican isle)
- 3/4 cup water to mix with seasoning
- sour cream-to top with if you want
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Brown meat and beginning cooking shells. Add seasoning and water to meat when browned and let simmer.
- Drain pasta and add cheese packet.
- You will layer the meat and shells in small casserole dish. Spoon on salsa and top with some shredded cheese. Crunch up some tortilla chips and sprinkle on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes or until chips start to brown.
- Serve with sour cream if you want. (I usually don’t use this)
Source: Adapted from-http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/velveeta-nacho-bake-90606.aspx
OK, when it says easy. I mean EASY! I love banana bread, but have found soo many that I do not love at all! They are too nutty, too dry, don’t even taste like banana, and the list goes on. I came across this recipe on Pinterest and decided it was easy enough to try out, even if it wasn’t very good. To say the least, my hopes were not very high. But to my surprise it was sooo good! When I mixed it in the bowl it smelled sooo good I almost ate it then, but then remembered there were raw eggs in it and that I was pregnant. I would have to wait. Boo. But then it came out and I tried the first warm, crumbly piece and was thrilled! I had found a yummy, cheap, easy banana bread recipe!!! Everyone that loved it tried it. Even the dog who got to benefit from the crumbliness. Hope you enjoy it like I did!
- 1 box yellow cake mix-preferably a moist one
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 very ripe bananas (buy too many bananas and now they are all brown? PERFECT!)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle flour on all sides.
- Mash up bananas in bowl. Add cake mix and 2 eggs. Mix together.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and top is fully cooked. (My toothpick came out clean in places, but then noticed some doughy spots where bread splits on top).
**Check regularly because I am a big believer on not just setting it and forgetting it. All ovens are different and some cook slower/faster than others. My bread was complete about 40 minutes and was sooo moist. You do not want dry bread!!
Source: Adapted from-http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2011/11/easy-banana-bread.html
This was seriously yummy and while I was making it, I got kinda excited! It was also a big hit with my friends. It had enough leftovers for another night, they were okay, but not near as good as the first time.
Sorry the picture is kinda blurry. I had to hurry and take it and get out of the way before it was devoured.
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro or 1/2-1 tbsp. of dried
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts (I used 3 medium chicken breasts)
- 1 can Rotel
- 7-8 tortillas
- Monterrey Jack and Colby cheese blend
- 1 can diced green chilies
- In a saucepan, mix sour cream, soup, and cilantro. Watch and stir closely. Do not turn up heat more than 2-3 or it might bubble out or burn.
- Combine chicken, Rotel, and green chilies in saute pan and heat for a few minutes.
- Warm tortillas until flexible.
- Spray 8×11 dish with cooking spray.
- Fill each tortilla with about 2 tbsp. or so of chicken mixture and top with a little bit of cheese and place seam side down in dish.
- Spread sour cream mixture on top. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Source: Adapted from-http://skinnymom.com/2012/05/11/skinny-sour-cream-enchiladas/
Oh. My. Goodness. This was so awesome and sooo easy!! It was a big hit and everyone I had over loved it!
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 6 ice cream sandwiches (or enough for 2 layers, depending on pan)
- candy bar, chocolate chips, other topping
- Line 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 in METAL loaf pan with wax paper to make for easy removal.
- In a large bowl (needs to be large to allow enough air to come in to thicken, otherwise you will be beating all day), beat cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. I like a whisk and I find it works best. Hold bowl at angle and beat for maybe 5-10 minutes.
- In the bottom of the pan, arrange sandwiches in one layer, cutting as needed. Spread half of whipped cream on top and repeat another layer of sandwiches.
- On top, sprinkle with your choice of topping. My favorite is snickers.
- Freeze for at least a few hours or a day before serving. Gently pull up on wax paper sides to place on plate to serve.
Source: Adapted from-http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/easy-ice-cream-cake-10000001817861/index.html
Now, I know this sounds weird. I almost hate calling it that because people usually cringe when they hear that name. Kind of like fruit cake or something. But there is always a reason why I try new recipes and usually it has to do with a surplus of ingredients in my pantry or fridge. I like to use what I have and only buy what I need. Cuts down on waste and your grocery bill. So as you might have guess, I have a surplus of canned tuna because my awesome mom likes to bring us food spontaneously from Costco. We call her the chicken fairy. Anyway I thought I would get creative with the use of the tuna and not just do tuna sandwiches. So I searched for a long time for a casserole that did not sound like complete vomit, because honestly, a lot of them do. So here is the one I used.
- box of pasta, cooked
- 2 cans of tuna, drained
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 lg. container of French’s fried onions
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9×13 dish with cooking spray.
- Combine pasta, tuna, and soup. Mix well and top with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with fried onions and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
So the recipe I adapted this from called for 1 can of tuna and my man likes meat so I added 2 cans of tuna. Good thing I did. It needed it. And use good tuna if you have it. I had some low quality tuna and it could have tasted better. Also, if I make this again I think I would add two cans of soup. Might even change it to another kind of soup like golden mushroom or something like that. I liked it, it was not terrible. I even got some more, but it was not my favorite. I think with the changes I mentioned above it might be better. Also, this is not a good recipe to bring to work and heat up in the microwave. The onions got mushy my husband said. It does make plenty to have for left overs another night which is great for the budget, but for sure heat in the oven.
Source: Adapted from-http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-tuna-casserole/
This is one of my favorite meals hand down. It is good for you, has great color, and it pretty simple. My husband helps me out on this one.
- salmon-cooked on grill on cedar planks, seasoned with pepper and garlic salt
- fresh green beans-seasoned with olive oil and garlic salt
- sweet potatoes-topped with a little bit of butter
- You are going to want to put in your sweet potatoes about an hour before you want the food on the table. Wash them thoroughly, cutting off any bad parts. Prick with fork all over and place on foil lined cookie sheet in 400 degree oven. Cook for 45-60 minutes depending on size. They are done when you can squeeze gently. Split length wise with knife and put dollop of butter inside. Mix. You can eat the skin on this and it will be delish!
- You will saute the green beans on the stove top in large pan. Put in a little olive oil and toss. Sprinkle a little garlic salt on top and cook until done. Usually about 20 minutes or so.
- My husband cooks the salmon on a cedar plank (follow directions on cedar plank package). Lightly season with garlic salt and pepper. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until flakes. Don’t over cook or it will be too dry. Make sure to peel off skin.
Love love love this meal. You don’t feel awful or guilty after eating, just that you have had a very healthy, well-balanced meal. Sweet potatoes are extremely high in nutrients and are one of the best foods you can have in your diet. Try eating them at least once a week.
Source: Just one of my favs. Texas Roadhouse has a great salmon and you can get a sweet potato as one of your sides. Their green beans aren’t exactly the same, but you could do whatever other side you wanted.
I love using my crock pot. I love waking up and breakfast is already prepared even more! This is a great recipe to set at night and have it ready for a good start in the morning.
- 6-8 strips of bacon, or 1 pound of breakfast sausage, cooked
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped and seeded
- 2 lb. bag of frozen shredded hash browns, lightly thawed just so you can break apart
- 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Spray crock pot generously with cooking spray.
- Saute garlic and bell pepper for 5 minutes or so to soften.
- Place 1/3 of frozen hash browns in bottom of crock pot. Add 1/3 bacon/sausage, 1/3 of garlic pepper mixture, 1/3 of cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- In bowl mix all eggs, milk, dill, salt, and pepper. Pour slowly into crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Some things I will change when I make this again will be more meat, more cheese, more salt. Other than that it was good. The best thing is you can wake up and just eat and not have to cook breakfast! Great for busy holiday times or gatherings.
Source: Adapted from- http://www.alattewithotta.com/2010/11/crock-pott-recipe-egg-brunch-casserole.html